Don’t miss an opportunity! Link up with us to receive updates as they happen.
The information provided on this page is intended for researchers who would like to apply for an IIAS Fellowship. Please do NOT file an application with IIAS if you will be visiting IIAS in the framework of an (exchange) agreement between IIAS and a partner institution. In that case you will be selected and nominated to IIAS by the partner institution.
The position of affiliated fellow is intended for outstanding researchers (also see 'Terms and conditions') from around the world, to work on an important aspect of Asian studies research in the social sciences and humanities. Interdisciplinary interests are encouraged. We also welcome researchers who would like to work on a collaborative grant proposal or develop their PhD thesis into a book publication.
We are particularly looking for researchers focusing on the three IIAS clusters 'Asian Cities', 'Asian Heritages' and 'Global Asia'. However some positions will be reserved for outstanding projects in any area outside of those listed. Applications that link to more than one field are also welcome.
On the application form, you will be asked to indicate to which cluster your proposed research relates, or to choose the "open category".
Terms and conditions
- Applicants must have fulfilled all requirements of the PhD. If you are a PhD candidate at the time of application, you may also apply, provided that you graduate within 5 months after the application deadline (see below). A letter from your university will be required to confirm your graduation before this date.
- If you are applying for a grant from IIAS to cover your research period in the Netherlands, the fellowship will be tenable for a maximum period of 10 months.
- Support for research (office facilities, library access, networks, etc.) will be provided.
- Affiliated fellows are expected to participate in IIAS events, including the fellow seminars, monthly lunch lectures, and drinks.
If IIAS decides to sponsor your research by awarding a grant, you will receive:
- A monthly grant of €2000;
- Office facilities and access to the Leiden University Libraries;
- A one-time grant of (max) €1000 towards the costs of (international) travel.
1 March and 1 October of each year
Interested applicants are invited to email/post their applications, consisting of:
- IIAS Fellowship Application form (word download)
- Curriculum Vitae
- A minimum of two letters of reference
Please ensure that a minimum of two letters of reference is sent to us in confidence via email or post, commenting on your academic abilities and the value of your research project by the appropriate deadline
- List of publications
IMPORTANT NOTES WHEN SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION:
- If you are sending us your application via email you will receive a reply acknowledging receipt of your email/application.
- Please send us your application only once. If you have already sent in your application via email, kindly do not send the same application via post (and vice versa).
- Emails larger than 10MB are rejected by our email system. Please keep your email and attachments below 10MB by zipping any large files.
Address for submission of applications, reference letters and/or queries:
(1) Email: email@example.com
(2) Fellowship Programme
c/o Ms Sandra van der Horst
International Institute for Asian Studies
2311 GJ Leiden